Demystifying SEN support in schools Part Three: EHCPs and appeals

If your child has special educational needs (SEN) but the SEN help they’re receiving through the school is not meeting their needs it might be useful to pursue an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Getting an EHCP is not a simple, straightforward process and can often lead to failure and an appeal process. It’s really important to go through the appeals process because ⅔ of cases are found in favour of parents.

Demystifying SEN support in schools Part Two: EHC Needs Assessments

You’ve established that your child has Special Educational Needs (SEN) and you’ve liaised with your child’s school’s Special Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCO), but the SEN support they’re receiving is not quite meeting the necessary needs. It could be time to ask for an Education and Health Care (EHC) assessment. This is usually best done in discussion with the school SEN department.

Demystifying SEN support in schools Part One: SEN Support Without EHCP

If you’re a parent or carer of a school-age child with special educational needs (SEN), do you want to feel more empowered to request the support your child is entitled to thrive during their school life?

We wrote this article after watching Eva Atkins’ webinar on how to secure the right SEN support for ND kids in school. Eva is an education lawyer, and a neurodivergent herself with three children who required SEN support in school.